NEWBURYPORT – As community members prepare to turn their clocks back this weekend, Chief Christopher LeClaire and the Newburyport Fire Department are reminding residents to test their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Daylight saving time ends Sunday, Nov. 4 at 2 a.m.
“It is crucial that all residents and business have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is especially dangerous given that it’s odorless, colorless and tasteless,” Chief LeClaire said. “If your devices don’t work or you need assistance checking or changing the batteries, please call the Newburyport Fire Department for help.”
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reports that 46 percent of smoke alarms that failed to operate had missing, disconnected or dead batteries and roughly three out of every five fire deaths occur in homes with no working smoke alarms.
The Newburyport Fire Department asks that all business owners not only change the batteries in their clocks, smoke or carbon monoxide detectors, but also replace the batteries on wall mounted emergency lights and exit signs. All businesses have emergency backup lighting as a safety feature to provide temporary lighting in case of power failure.
In order to keep your home safe and prevent fires, Chief LeClaire recommends that residents follow safety tips outlined by NFPA:
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month using the test button. Replace alarms immediately if they don’t respond properly when tested.
- Replace batteries in smoke and CO alarms when you change your clocks.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they reach 10 years old. Replace CO detectors according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area, on every level of the home, and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards. For the best protection, interconnect all CO alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.
- If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay in that spot until emergency personnel arrive.
For more information on smoke detector and CO alarm safety, visit the NFPA website or contact the Newburyport Fire Department at 978-465-4427.