Christopher LeClaire, Fire Chief
3 Greenleaf St.
Newburyport, MA 01950
For Immediate Release
Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2018
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Newburyport Fire Department Reminds Residents to Properly Display House Numbers
NEWBURYPORT — Chief Christopher Leclaire and the Newburyport Fire Department would like to remind residents about the importance of properly displaying street numbers on homes and businesses.
“Every second counts in an emergency, so it’s essential that houses and buildings be clearly marked so that we can find them quickly,” Chief Leclaire said. “Following these guidelines will help ensure that first responders can do their jobs efficiently and effectively, and that no time is wasted in an emergency.”
The Newburyport Fire Department wishes to remind residents and businesses of the following recommendations regarding the proper display of house numbers:
- All houses, businesses and other buildings should clearly display street identification numbers, which should be visible and legible from the street in order to assist in emergency response efforts.
- In the event that a house, business or principal building is not visible from the street, the number should be displayed on a post or mailbox in a way that is visible from the street.
- The numbers should be at least 3 inches tall.
In order to make street numbers more easily visible, the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services recommends the following:
- Place numbers under lighting and with a contrasting background so they will be visible at night.
- If your driveway is long, post your house number on both sides of a mailbox or sign pole at the end of the driveway near the road.
- Be sure to trim trees and bushes that could be blocking street numbers.
Residents who have questions or concerns about the visibility of house or business street numbers should contact the Newburyport Fire Department at 978-465-4427.